Saturday, April 30, 2011

Parenting

Why do I sometimes suck so much as a parent? I think there are several reasons:

A: All parents suck at least some of the time. It's just not an easy job.
B: I am easily frustrated by the irrationality of immature (read YOUNG) people. I like things to go as they should and I don't have the patience to put up with behavior that isn't orderly.
C: I am easily distracted by my own life (work, fun, cleaning the damn house), so I don't necessarily give the kids the attention they need. Or not. How much attention do they need, anyway? Then I am rewarded with attention-seeking behavior, or they get into things they shouldn't, or I don't always follow through with discipline so they keep repeating bad behavior because they can get away with it.
D: I am not a praiseful parent. I am curt, sarcastic, and probably speak to the kids in a frustrated tone of voice much of the time. Like if one of them gets hurt doing something they should know better than to do, my first impulse is to yell at them for getting into that situation, rather than comfort them because they're hurt.
E: A minor point, but Lisa and I don't like to cook much, so their diet does not consist of much homemade food. And I think a fruit is just as good to serve with dinner as a vegetable. And they get frozen pizza at least once, if not twice, a week.

Yeah, they're turning out all right so far, but I still feel like I am failing them in some way. I wish I could be like that Duggar mom (the one with like 20 kids). She seems to have that parenting thing down. Funny to think that I aspire to be like a conservative Christian with a bad hairdo and who only wears dresses, but it's true. I'm kind of jealous of her parenting ability. Our household is more like one that Supernanny would visit. Lots of chaos and yelling and unfinished chores. I even send the girls to school half the time without brushing their hair! Is that normal?

Well, parenting is hard, no doubt about that. But I love those kids too much to give them up. Hopefully they won't see my parenting as the farce it really is and choose to leave me instead.

Oh, and the Twins suck too. What's their excuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment