Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kauai Part 8 - Ocean 1, Jami 0

Lisa had to give lectures all morning and then SCUBA in the afternoon, so I had the kids all day. They can really wear a person down. The fighting! The bickering! The name calling! And the kids didn't get along with each other, either! Ha ha.

We spent the morning at the pool and then explored the South coast after lunch. We stopped at Glass Beach (named because of the millions of small pieces of broken glass in the sand), and then hiked through lava rocks and a coffee plantation to a secluded little beach in a bay. We had to cross a small river to get to the beach, and my sandals got wet, so I took them off and put them on the sand to dry. The kids swam for about 30 minutes and then I gathered them up to make the one mile trek back to the car. Except my sandals were nowhere to be seen. The ocean took them! We looked everywhere, but no sign of them. I know you are telling me, I told you so. But give me a break! I grew up in Minnesota! You couldn't get farther from the ocean and still be in the U.S.! And lakes don't slide their tentacles onto shore to steal things like the ocean does. And these weren't some cheap flip flops. These were my very favorite $100 Keen sandals from REI. So I was sad about losing them and sad about the long trip in bare feet. The kids were cute. The boys went barefoot too, in solidarity with me, and the girls kept thinking of ways to come up with $100 to buy me a new pair of sandals. All I kept thinking about was the pedicure I got last week, where the lady filed off all of my calluses. They're there for a reason! Case in point!

My mood didn't improve when we picked up Lisa from her SCUBA adventure. I think I ruined her excitement over being certified. To make up for it, I thought it would be nice get get a drink at the local pizza joint in Koloa, but they wouldn't let us in with no shoes. We did look pretty rough. Morgan was wearing a dress but no underwear. Lisa had just spent 3 hours under water. The rest of us were covered in the red clay that makes up this island.

We couldn't get into the shower soon enough. I feel much better being clean and with a cold beer. We leave tomorrow, and in think we're all ready to go. Hawaii is really nice, but we miss home. Morgan cried for 30 minutes last night over our psycho cat, Chandler. Our rat terrier Kirby's Facebook status showed him as missing his family.

Our flight home isn't after 8 pm tomorrow, so we essentially have another day here. However, this is my last sunset on the island where I can sit with a beer in hand and listen to the waves crashing into shore. I will miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment