Sunday, May 1, 2011

A good day

Today was the Jami's Group of Losers 6K run/walk around our lake. I picked May 1 because I thought it at least wouldn't snow. Well, I was wrong! I had some interesting dreams about it last night, which means I was a little worried about pulling the event off. And I woke to a blustery 35 degrees with snow flurries and a 23 degree windchill. I wonder how many people will show up? I thought. To my pleasant surprise and amazement, we had only one no-show! A total of 18 people completed the race and it was so great to see everybody. This group is an amazing bunch of people-totally supportive of everyone in their journey, whether it be weight loss, weight maintenance, weight gain, or even just having a healthier lifestyle. Many people met their teammates in person for the first time. It was an awesome event and I am so glad so many members braved the freezing weather to be part of it. Bonus: I ran it in my best time yet!

Well, running in this weather was cold, but not nearly as cold as sitting on the sideline watching my boys play soccer for an hour. I took a long hot shower when I got home from that and it still took hours to warm up! All of the big events of the very busy weekend were done: work, 3 soccer games, 2 school carnivals, 2 piano events, church class and meeting, and the 6K. I didn't do all of it; Lisa and I shared the duties. I had the whole afternoon free! But I can't relax much, so the family went to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid Part 2. Cute movie! I see Carter in the main character. Well, in a few years.

A friend of ours invited our family and some other good friends over tonight for a healing ritual. It was way out of my comfort zone. As much as I like to talk abbot myself and be the center of attention in certain situations, having a bunch of people gathered just to focus on my health was weird for me. But it was an interesting experience. It was also good to get the kids involved and also to hear positive thoughts from my friends and family. And all of these thoughts are collected in a small rock that I can bring with me tomorrow to my surgery.

People really are good. I am finding that out every day. Many talented and intelligent people are trying to cure cancer. Many more are treating patients who have it. Many of my friends have written to me or personally told me they are thinking of me. And food and offers of help abound. I even got a hug from my brother today! Awesome awesome awesome. All of it. Not just the hug.

One more thing. Is it wrong that one reason I am excited for surgery is that I will likely be far below my caloric allotment for the day?

2 comments:

  1. Jami you absolutely rock! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jami...thinking about you today and hoping that all goes well!

    ReplyDelete