Friday, April 15, 2011

Kauai Part 6 - Hawaii Nice

We've been driving around this island for almost a week and I have noticed that I have yet to hear a car horn. And when I need to merge, people actually stop to let me in! This is different from almost every other place I have traveled to. Usually, I miss the niceness from the upper Midwest. Not so much here; I think Hawaii actually beats Minnesota in that category. Like I said in an earlier post, everyone seems happy here. And why not? Except for having to pay $8 for a gallon of milk and $4.50 for a gallon of gas, there's not really much to complain about. Every day is 80 degrees and every night it is 70 degrees. Partly sunny, occasional brief shower, not too humid.

Lisa was gone lecturing all day, so I had kid duty. After my morning run along the beach, I made pancakes for breakfast, then we visited the Kauai Museum. Luckily, we arrived just in time for the daily tour! The docent was a 70 year old man who definitely had his own opinions. He talked politics and conspiracy theories rather than educating us on the history of Hawaii. He spent 20 minutes in front of a large photo of the last Hawaiian queen and talked about tsunamis and World War 2 instead. We never even learned her name! The kids got bored pretty quickly so we self-toured the rest.

Afterwards, we visited a nearby plantation and I had a rum tasting (Koloa Rum). The kids weren't allowed in the tasting room so they kept jumping up to look in the window. You can imagine that scene. We finally gave them some rum cake to calm them down.

Tonight the entire family got to go to a luau put on by the conference. Not only did we all get free passes, but we had VIP seating too! The food was incredible and the entertainment was fabulous. Morgan even got onstage with the dancers to perform a hula dance!

Wow, it's after 10 - two late nights in a row. Pretty soon my body will be on Hawaii time, just in time to return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment