Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kauai Part 9 - Going home

I am writing earlier than normal because our flight is at 8:30 tonight and I won't have internet access until tomorrow. However, The early hour isn't preventing me from am sitting on the patio, listening to the ocean waves, and drinking a beer. The last one of the trip, I'm afraid.

This morning I ran my longest vacation distance yet, 4.5 miles. Perhaps it was because I started out later than normal (6:15 am), but it was pretty hot and humid. Sort of reminded me of July in Minnesota. I took the kids to our favorite beach and the surf was great! However, Claire and I collided during a particularly spectacular wipeout and sort of injured ourselves. Good bruises to show the folks at home.

I grilled some burgers for lunch and now we are packed and ready to go. Except I don't want to leave just yet. We have a few hours and we'll do some more island exploring before going to the airport. For my Facebook weight loss group, our weigh-ins are on Mondays. I didn't want to miss 2 weigh-ins due to the vacation, so I actually packed my scale. The scale had a great time! We took photos of it sunning on a beach towel, boogie boarding, lounging by the pool with a Mai tai, snorkeling, etc. Only those in my FB loser group have been privy to the pictures, although Lisa wants to make a collage of them. If I were more technically savvy, I would post them on the blog, but I took them with my phone, so I don't know how to transfer them.

I finished the 700+ page The Breast Book on this trip. I'm sure reading a book like that while poolside garnered some second looks. Lisa didn't like me reading it because I got all introspective afterwards. I learned a ton and may need to call my surgeon this week to ask a few clarifying questions. Soon I will post a summary of what I know about breast cancer. But not yet. I never called work once on this trip. I didn't answer any emails (I think). So 2 out of 3 isn't bad, right?

Mahalo, Hawaii, for a really good time. See you soon, Minnesota. Please warm up a little, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment