Thursday, April 21, 2011

Jet. Lag. Ugh.

I underestimated the jetlag I would feel coming back from Hawaii. I mean, it's part of the U.S., right? Well, this is the third full day back and I continue to struggle with insomnia at night and an inability to wake up in the morning. I don't want to get too caffeinated up today because I am in surgery and I don't want my hands to shake.

Being tired just makes life suck, doesn't it? I am pretty much just walking through the day, unable to get any enjoyment out of it, and getting stressed about not being able to sleep tonight. I should go for a run over lunch, but I feel I would pass out in the middle of the sidewalk! I know, I know, exercise does help.

Jalen is having a rough time, too. He is turning into a snotty little tween. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt this week due to the jetlag. Hopefully it will not continue or there will be hell to pay.

Being back at work makes me really appreciate the profession I have chosen. I truly love what I do. My staff is awesome (if a little insubordinate). My clients are great. There are interesting things coming through the door every day. It does get a little stressful at times, but I am sure every job is like that.

OK. I wrote that last paragraph between surgeries. After the surgeries were done, I was planning on having a leisurely lunch. Perhaps even go to REI to replace my beloved sandals. However, this job can be very unpredictable and two sick animals just showed up during my last surgery. So no lunch break, I imagine. That's one of the stressful part of my job. Its unpredictability. I have a friend who is going to start a veterinary dermatology residency soon, and as much as I think it's crazy to want to practice derm full-time, I can see the benefits. There are very few derm emergencies.

Well, at least I have peanut butter and chocolate chips to help me get through the day. That always makes it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment