Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Appointment 10 - Pre-op Physical #2

Well, since it's been 42 days since my last pre-op physical (when I didn't even have surgery), and they expire after 31 days, I got to go in again. This time I was going to see the physician's assistant that I normally see for my gynecologic exam. She's the one who had been telling me every year to get my mammogram.

But first, the appointment wasn't until 11 am, so spent the early part of the morning researching DCIS and the Van Nuys group out of USC (I'll write about that in a later blog), and then I was planning to go to the gym for a long workout. Except I couldn't find my car keys. I swear, I looked for an hour. The van, the house, the garbage, the laundry, all of my pockets, and then I repeated. No luck. I was getting desperate, so I took my scooter out of its winter hibernation, borrowed some gas from our neighbors, and prayed that it would start. It did! Good scooter! I was only able to work out for 30 minutes at the gym, then I scooted to the doctor's office. My appointment was at 11. I arrived at 10:55. I was brought into the exam room at 11:30 and the PA finally arrived at 11:55. The way my morning was going, I should have titled this entry "Wasted Time". I was in a pretty crabby mood by the time she came in, so the appointment didn't go as I had planned. It sort of starts things with a bad tone when you have to wait for so long. And no apology or explanation was given. In the vet business, we've learned long ago to acknowledge a client if there will be a wait, and to apologize and explain if it will be excessive. Heck, we will even offer a free nail trim or something. Maybe physicians can learn a thing or two. I would mindn't another pedicure (minus the scraping of my calluses) for my time. I was late for our weekly meeting at work because of this.

I love my scooter, but the first ride of the season is supposed to be on a warm sunny spring day. Except we haven't had any of them this year. Instead, it was 45, windy, and it even rained a little.

The keys did show up tonight, courtesy of Claire. When she found out about the $5 reward, she produced the keys in like 30 seconds. I think she may have taken them last night to try to open a locked bathroom door (at least that's what Morgan claims, although Claire denies it).

Instead of prescribing Ambien like I've had in the past, the PA recommended Xanax, an anti-anxiety medication. She thinks I've been under a little stress lately. I'll be interested to see how it works and I'll let you know tomorrow. I just took it so if this entry sort of ends without explanation, you'll know that it worked and I fell asleep mid-sentence.

A couple of good things did happen today. Lisa got a promotion to full clinical professor and my sister-in-law's breast lump was diagnosed as a benign cyst! Yay! And I lost 0.4 pound, which is by no means the most important good news of the day, but I know you were wondering.

No effect from the Xanax yet, but I'm signing out anyway. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment