Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jumping back in with both feet

We went to bed at 9 pm last night. Except I was the lone person who couldn't sleep. So I took 2 Benadryl tablets and finally crashed at about midnight. Getting up this morning was no easy task, so I drank a 5 hour Energy shot. I think the combination of the sedative (Benadryl), stimulant (caffeine plus a proprietary energy blend) plus 10 hours of sleep in 2 days' time was not a good mix. I felt like somone who drank a can of the banned Four Loco energy/alcohol drink. I stumbled into work and couldn't concentrate on what anyone was telling me. I thought I heard that two of my patients had died of mesenteric torsions last night. Wait, that DID happen! Do you know what a mesenteric torsion is? It's when your entire intestinal tract twists around its blood vessels. It immediately loses its blood supply and the intestines die within hours. Very few (I mean one in a hundred) dogs will survive this catastrophic event. Fortunately, it is rare. I have been a vet for 16 years and I have seen it twice. So imagine my surprise when I heard about one of my patients that my associate euthanized last night due to a suspected torsion, and another one of my patients that died during surgery at the U of MN early this morning. That's TWO in one night! WTH??? And they were both awesome dogs with great owners. Damn the luck! One was only 15 months old! Her owner called me later in the morning to discuss it. She was still hysterical and sobbing on the phone, and in such a state of shock because it all happened so quickly. So sad.

Fortunately, my associate and relief vets did a great job when I was gone and my phone list was surprisingly short. So I had some time over lunch to make FOUR doctor appointments. Radiation oncologist next Monday. Pre-op physical (again!) next Thursday. Regular oncologist in 4 weeks. Genetic counselor in July (they book out quite a bit ahead, don't they?). I really really wanted to have the radiation done in Maple Grove, but after many conversations with my insurance company, it was determined that that particular facility wasn't covered. So it looks like I'll be spending the month of June driving 15 miles each way every day to North Memorial for my radiation therapy. Now I have buyer's remorse. Did I pick the right oncologist (I was referred to him by my surgeon)? Should I have tried to make it work to have radiation in Maple Grove? Should I see my regular doc for my pre-op, even though I have to miss work to see him, or should I go to my physician's assistant (whom I haven't seen since she lectured me on the importance of a baseline mammogram last fall)?

I got a message today from a friend who has the same cancer I do. She was diagnosed the same way - baseline mammogram showed calcifications, which led to a biopsy ("probably nothing, but just to be sure"), and the fateful phone call after the results came back. She describes how she still has post-traumatic stress moments. Because it is a shock. Any time a person gets diagnosed with cancer it's a shock, but more so if you're not even sick to begin with. It was just a routine screening test!

Well, at least my intestines haven't twisted on their blood supply. I wonder if people ever get that...

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are having your radiation at North Memorial becaue one of the radiation tech's is my fourth sister by pretend adoption (my sisters roommate from college that is essentially now a part of our family). Angie G, she is amazing and I hope she gets you for a patient. She will take great care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love that you are doing your radiation at North memorial. Great oncologist and staff loved Angie G! Be prepared to be tattooed at your first appointment! You may want to ask about burn cream. No one tells you you need it until its to late and the burn cream you want has to be ordered on line.
    I can recommend an female oncologist at North if you want a second opinion. Or there is one at the U of MN that is awesome. I alway want a second or third opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete