Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kauai Part 1 - Travel Day

I am lying here on my bed in the condo we have rented in Kauai, Hawaii. The windows are open (mainly because Lisa's gone out to get groceries and I can do whatever I damn well please until she gets back and turns on the AC). I can literally hear the waves from my room! It is only 7:30 pm, but our internal clocks say 12:30 am, so I made the kids go to bed. 5 minutes later, they're all asleep. Yes!

Unlike most other vacations, I have done almost zero planning for this one. Lisa has been the one reading the travel guides and arranging our activities. My only job was to get the car rented. I must say, we saved hundreds on dollars by using www.discountcarrentalhawaii.com. Really! It sounded too good to be true, but we did get the car! It's a minivan, of course, and I will note right now that you could rent 2 sedans for less than 1 minivan. Why? Back to the planning. My goal is to just chill. Most of our vacations tend to be very active ones. I drag the entire family to every sightseeing attraction possible, because you never know when we'll make it back here, you know. I think our kids' main vacation memories are walking. Usually In 90 degree weather and usually in a hurry. This vacation, our memories will be mainly lying on the beach sipping Mai Tais. Well, that will be mine. Who knows what the kids will do?

We were in an airport or on a plane for over 13 hours today. All in all, the kids did pretty well. I'm so proud of them! No one got lost and no one had a meltdown. They even hauled their own luggage around. We were a little nervous early on when BOTH girls had diarrhea about 4 times in an hour at the Denver airport. But that seems to have resolved.

I'm sure I'll be up at 5 am local time. Good opportunity to go for a run and check this place out. Other than that, who knows what the day will bring? Serenity now! (Or as my techs at work would say, "Cerenia now!" - inside vet joke, ha ha.)

P.S. It is not lost on me that I didn't bring up breast cancer once in today's blog. Doh! Until now. I'm trying a new technique of actually thinking and writing about other things.

2 comments:

  1. Cool to know that I am not the only person in the world who looks at a Cerenia bottle and hears George Costanza's father screaming "SERENITY NOW!!!" each and every time.
    Keep the planning switch on 'off' - those vacations ROCK. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now on island time. Everything is a pace or two slower than Minnesota time - something we should all consider making a life style. Let the island and the ocean work their magic. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete