Monday, April 18, 2011

Home!

Wow. I am so tired, this page is actually blurry. It was a long trip back, starting at 8 pm Hawaii time and ending at 6 pm Central time the next day. We had only one small glitch when our flight from LA to Chicago was delayed and we had to reschedlue the final leg. But even our luggage made it back with us!

I returned to a pile of mail that included a card from someone special to me. Her daughter is the friend of mine that I mentioned in an earlier post who died of breast cancer 2 years ago. The family has four daughters, and they're the neatest group of people. The friend who passed away was a college roommate of mine. I am also friends with her sister, who was also treated for breast cancer at around 40. The mom also had breast cancer. Suffice it to say the two younger sisters are being monitored very closely. Anyway, her note acknowledged that she is aware of what I'm going through and that I shouldn't let cancer interfere with my life. Between work, kids, and home, I have little time for it. So true. I am actually trying right now to figure out how to fit 30 sessions of radiation therapy into my schedule. I'll make it work, but it won't be easy.

Anyway, I appreciated the note. I've gotten a few other notes and messages, and I remember them all. I appreciate people asking me about my diagnosis because I don't want to bring it up all the time and bore people with it. But it is a big part of my life right now and it is nice to able to talk about it. I wish I were as thoughtful before when I had friends going through big life events. Because of my experience, I will be more thoughtful in the future. I have a client who told me about his recent back surgery and the pain he continues to be in. It obviously affects his life daily. So I asked a lot of questions about it and he spent about 5 minutes telling me his story. At the end, he thanked me for asking. That's all people need sometimes. Someone to give them permission to talk about what ails them.

Anyway, it's good to be home. I'm excited to go back to work tomorrow, to re-start my diet (I have just a few more pounds to lose!), to plan my summer (with two surgeries - breast and elbow), to start getting ready to apply for ABVP certification, to increase my running mileage, to help coach my sons' soccer team, to get our garden and landscaping in order, to be as busy as I normally am. Yep, I don't really have time for this cancer stuff, do I?

No comments:

Post a Comment