Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My small world

One of my co-workers marvels at how small my world is. I seem to run into people I know in random places. Either that, or maybe I just know a ton of people! Anyway, my small world was demonstrated today when one of my clients came in with her dog. Her husband came as well, and I had never met him before. He was wearing scrubs, so I asked if he was in the medical field. I am an RN, he replied. Where? Abbott. Wow, I'm having surgery there on Monday! I said. That is when his wife piped in, Where in Abbott? The Piper Breast Center, I replied. Turns out, she works in the surgery ward at Piper! She's a nurses aid. I told her she'd better take very good care of me.

Other than that, today was a pretty boring day. This cold rainy weather is getting everyone down. Lisa was quite sick today and ended up being close to an abdominal CT scan to check for appendicitis. However, the doc (who is also my family practitioner - no coincidence there) thinks it was a flare up of ulcers she's had in the past. Hmmm... Do you think stress had anything to do with it? She's feeling better now after a ton of antacids.

I have my pre-op physical tomorrow, and I think I'm going to ask for a prescription for some sleeping pills. I feel sort of like a failure, given that I was almost weaned off of sleep aids, but at this point I need sleep more than a sense of accomplishment. Add that to my 4 pound weight gain over the past 3 weeks, and my inability to run 7 miles yesterday, and I'm feeling super good about myself!

If only the sun would shine. That would make a world of difference, wouldn't it?

3 comments:

  1. The sun WILL shine, I just know it has to because of global warming (?), and I hope Lisa feels better! Sleep is huge (not that I would know anything about it right now) but I do know that I was a much happier person with it! :) What's with the weight thing? You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days are not so fine. You just have to get through them as best you can, which is not an easy task. BUT, before you know it, the sun will be bright in the sky and things will look better. I love gardening and yard work. I can't wait to play in the dirt! Envison 75 degrees, low humidity, a lawn chair, a good book and a cold beer - it'll be here soon!

    Insomnia sucks - I know it all too well. Lack of sleep plays havoc with everything. Don't feel bad about using a sleep aid if needed. You need the sleep.

    Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insomnia: I used to suffer with it horribly. My day would spin around my head over and over and over, preventing sweet slumber. It improved about 50% after graduating vet school. I don't think I could sleep because I was afraid I'd forget all the stuff I was memorizing. It's MUCH better now. I'm not sure it's because I'm more exhausted with the kids, clinic, etc. or because of the therapy I did when Steve and I called off the wedding and such. I've learned to listen to my own breathing. Remember listening to your heartbeat with your spanking new stethescope in vet school...that works too. In short, insomnia is torture and I hope that symptom sorts it self out for you soon.

    I'm wishing you tons of luck over the next few months. I know you'll do great...just sucks that you have to go through all of it.

    ReplyDelete