Monday, May 23, 2011

Ten miles! (Baby)

Today is Monday, the day I take on my nemesis - the weekly long run. After my disastrous run last Monday, I abstained from running at all this week, hoping to save my legs for today's run. The run was an adventure with all of the water and trees down on the path; I even saw a teeny baby snapping turtle trying to make its way across. Things were going pretty well until mile 9, when my knee started acting up again. But since I was so close to being done, I put on my favorite inspirational song (Hannah Montana's The Climb) and just kept going. I ran, rather than walked, home, albeit it with a signficant limp.

I feel ok about how things went, but I wonder if I will always struggle with the last mile of any run I do. Is it psychological? I don't think so. Can I trick my body into going farther by telling myself my run is a mile longer than I have planned? Perhaps a good experiment to try. Can I actually run 26 miles this fall? That is a definite maybe.

On another note, the mini-van overheated multiple times this weekend, so I brought it back in. The mechanic said something about a leaking head gasket, which I know is pretty much a death sentence. So we frantically shopped for used Priuses today and I may have found one. However, since making the decision to put the van out of its misery, it hasn't overheated once. ??? Figures.

On a third note, today we started another round of the Loser competition. There are now some 65 people in the group and 42 of them are competing. I have been slacking a little in the weight department so I need a new push to get off those last few pounds. This week's challenge is water and I've been drinking like a little fish today. It helps to run 10 miles to get a little dehydrated.

On a fourth note, Lisa made a little behavior board/chore chart for the girls, which includes things like keeping their room clean, listening, putting their clothes away, and doing homework. 24 hours into it and so far so good (for the most part). I'll update that later. The rest of the house, however, is still a mess and we need to pick it up a little before the house cleaner comes tomorrow.

Well, I may have just written the most boring blog ever and for that I apologize. But it's been that sort of mundane day. Just life, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment