Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Post-surgery

OK, yeah. I went to work today! What's wrong with that? I asked my surgeon and a nurse independently and they both said it was ok to go back the next day with restrictions. So I made sure I had a light schedule and lots of help. I felt pretty good this morning. I only took 4 Advil all day and my incision feels fine. But I did start to feel pretty crappy at about 3. Sort of like a low-grade flu or something. So I came home at 5 and fell asleep on the couch for about 15 minutes until the girls came in from outside covered in mud. What's with that? I swear, if there's mud within a hundred yards of them, not only do they step in it, but they fall in it. And then roll around a bit. So mud is once again tracked all over the house. Ugh. I don't have the energy to deal with this! I did make them shower and they are grounded from the outdoors for the rest of the day. I'm afraid of what the bathroom must look like.

The poor girls are eating saltine crackers right now because I'm too tired to prepare dinner. And I'm watching Seinfeld reruns because I dont want to watch the news anymore. I'm also playing my new addictive game - Words with Friends. My username is jamstrom if you want to take me on. Where is Lisa? I need her to come home and take care of me! And feed the girls!

A good friend of mine came over to help out last night. She brought me the best card. It said, Cancer sucks. But it could be worse... At least you're not married to John Edwards. Awesome!

As far as going back to work so soon, that is the mentality of an employer vs. an employee. An employee with benefits would probably take today as a sick day and the employer would eat the cost, either with decreased productivity or by paying someone to cover the shift. An employer is less likely to take a day off unless it is really necessary because the decreased productivity or paying someone to cover comes out of their pocket. So I weighed everything and decided that if I was going to pay a relief vet $500 to cover my shift, I would have to really be sick or really having a good time (like going to Hawaii!). I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining since so many people have asked why the heck I went back to work today. Plus, what else am I going to do today? It's not like I can do anything fun!

No word about the biopsy, so I guess I'll hear tomorrow. It's 7:30 and I'm about ready for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Um, hello? This is what I meant when I said "call me if you need anything"! I am plan free tomorrow if this exhaustion continues.

    ReplyDelete