Monday, June 6, 2011

My first serious attempt at meditation

My mind is constantly racing. That probably accounts for my general restlessness and also my insomnia. I have had a lot of downtime in the past couple of days, as Lisa and I were in Texas visiting her family. There's only so many Words with Friends games one can play before they go a little nuts. I can't sit still, but I'm trying to teach myself how to just let it all go once in awhile, and relax.

This morning Lisa's dad took us out for a ride in his pontoon boat. It was a lovely, if hot and sticky, day and I quickly fell asleep in the sun. Even while sleeping, my mind began to wander until it woke me up. So I thought I'd try a little meditation. Now I have had no training at all in the art of meditation, but I've read Eat, Pray, Love, so I get the general idea. You need to clear your mind of all thought. Harder than it sounds! I first started to make the hohmmm sound in my brain, but that didn't work. So then I repeated the word Triangle in my mind, while at the same time envisioning triangles. Yeah, I made it up. But this time it worked for awhile. I was training my brain, one step at a time. I would do the triangle thing until I felt my mind start wander/think of things other than triangles. When this happened I would stop, regroup, and try again. Sort of like doing wind sprints. I tried to go Triangle for longer periods each time. I think I made it up to about 10 seconds. Hey! Baby steps!

I actually have a meditation book at home, and I may actually open it now that I'm inspired. I am sure it has some other tips and methods on how to meditate, but I think that Triangle is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment