Friday, June 24, 2011

Elbow surgery

Yes, I finally had my elbow surgery yesterday. It was a long time coming. I partially tore my extensor carpi radialis brevis tendon while lifting weights almost two years ago. The pain got worse over time and 4 steroid injections, hand therapy, wearing a huge splint for a week, chiropractic massage, and time did not help much. I saw two surgeons, both of whom told me it will likely get better on its own, but that it could take years. They were both of the opinion that it was probably time for surgery. Hence, the elbow MRI -> mammogram -> delayed anything elbow related for a few months.

It has been challenging to schedule the surgery because I had to take time off of work, which meant arranging coverage. But yesterday finally came. The surgery was scheduled for 1:30, and I was told I couldn't eat or drink after 3:30 am. I thought about it, but I didn't get up at 3 for breakfast. So yeah, I was hungry yesterday morning. Lisa came with me to the surgery. I'm kind of used to being a surgical patient by this time, but I still wanted her there for the pre-op stuff. I HATE IV catheters, especially in the back of the hand, and guess where they put it? Blah! It was a couple of hours before the surgery actually began and I think Lisa wanted to go get some lunch. She kept looking at her watch while we were waiting for things to happen. Far cry from when I had cancer surgery. No meals from friends, no flowers, no sympathetic spouse (hey, at least she got to have breakfast!).

Also, I tend to make jokes when I'm nervous, which some medical professionals don't always get. The anesthesiologist was sort of like that. The prep nurse, however, thought I was a riot.

Also unlike my breast lumpectomy, I hadn't done much research at all on this surgery. In fact, I swear we had talked about doing an open approach but it was listed as arthroscopic surgery, so the surgeon and I went back and forth a little on that. Just do what is best, I told him. Arthroscopic it was. Basically, he just removed the damaged part of the tendon. This time I was given Versed (midazolam - an anti-anxiety) IV, which stung like hell. Then I was wheeled into the OR and, I was told, given propofol and intubated. I don't remember that at all. The next thing you know, I'm in recovery and it's 2 hours later and my elbow hurts like a motherf-----er. They gave me 3 injections of fentany and oral oxycodone, but my pain scale was still a 6 out of 10 (probably a 7 or 8 - I was being nice). I even told the nurse that I am usually pretty pain-tolerant and she replied, That's what they all say, until they have surgery.

Jerk.

Anyway, the pain subsided and we drove home to a bunch of screaming kids. I tried to rest while Lisa went to get my prescriptions filled, but the kids were so LOUD! Made me very crabby. After dinner, Lisa took the boys to a soccer game, our friend watched the girls, and I had a babysitter of my own for a few hours - a high school classmate who came to visit. That was nice, relaxing, peaceful. Until the kids came home.

I took narcotic pain meds last night but I feel pretty good today. I'll stick with the anti-inflammatory alone for now. My elbow is wrapped and I can't take a shower for 3! days. We'll have to figure out a way around that one. Lisa already told me she won't give me sponge baths.

So there you have it. My medical sagas are finally coming to a close. I am excited about the possibility of not having daily pain in my elbow. I am excited about not going to the doctor all of the time (although I guess I have some physical therapy in the near future).

I also turned 41 last weekend, so I need to either change the title of this blog, or put it to rest. I'm still on the fence on that one.

As a final aside, we had a couple of realtors do a market valuation on our current house, and we couldn't get nearly enough to cover the down payment on the farm. So unless something crazy happens, we're not moving. In fact, I am taking this opportunity to put money into fixing/upgrading our house, in order to make me happier living in it. Which means, of course, that we'll probably move soon.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you were having surgery yesterday! I'd be happy to entertain the kids tonight - make pizzas or whatever they want so you can have some peace. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete