Tuesday, June 21, 2011

14 Miles and My Knee Feels Fine

Today's run almost didn't happen. We had a storm come through at 4:30-5 am and the weather wasn't looking so great even at 5:30. So I texted my running buddy Margaret but she said we should go anyway. Shoot. So I rolled out of bed and ran a mile down the bike path to meet up with her. I was wearing black. She was all chipper in bright pink and green. Our attitudes matched our colors and I couldn't go at more than a 10 min/mile pace. It's funny how your speed can really vary from day to day. We went into the Elm Creek Park Reserve and did an 8 mile total loop. Add that to my initial mile and I'd done 9 miles and guess what? My knee showed no signs of hurting! I actually made it to 12 miles and my knee felt great. However, Carter had an orthodontist appointment at 8:40 so I had to take a break. Of course had I been ready at 5:30 like I had originally planned, I would have had the entire thing done by then. I didn't have time to wash up or change before the appointment so I am sure I didn't look or smell all that good. That's ok. I'd just run 12 miles. They'd understand.

I learned that it is not a good idea to take an hour break during your long run. My legs and feet thought I was done and they were very angry when I got back on the bike path. My feet hurt, my calves hurt, but guess what? My knee felt fine! I didn't wear a watch for those last two miles, but I am pretty sure I ran at about 12 mins/mile. That's ok. I ran 14 miles today. Margaret and I did experiment a little with walking a bit every few miles because I read an article about how that can decrease injuries. Or maybe it was the tiger eye stone that had my family's good wishes (from the healing ritual before my breast surgery) that I slipped in my pocket today. Or maybe it's just dumb luck that my knee happened to do well this time.

I don't know if I'll complete the marathon this fall but if I do, you know what I'm gonna do? I'm going to buy one of those 26.2 window stickers and put it on my car window, that's what. Or maybe I'll tattoo it somewhere on my body. Because running 26 miles is an accomplishment. I didn't really used to think so because so many people run marathons these days. But many many more DON'T run a marathon. And why not? Maybe it's illness or injury, which I totally understand. Or maybe you don't like to run and a marathon is the last thing you'd even consider trying. I get that too. But what if it's fear of failing? I've done that too when I had to drop out of training a few years ago. It was really hard to stand on the sidewalk cheering on Lisa as she ran the marathon in 2007. However, it was also 90+ degrees that day and she was pretty miserable the entire time, which did temper my bitterness a little. What if it's lack off time? Well, I sort of get that, but not really. I am a pretty busy person but I still find time to exercise about an hour a day. It can be done if you make it a priority and, likely, turn off the TV. What if you don't want to push your body that much? I understand that too. It's not easy to make your feet move when your mind is saying STOP! But if you push through it? You'll feel so much better about yourself afterwards. Look at me now! I can't walk without a significant limp today because my feet are so sore, but my mind feels awesome. And I can eat whatever I want.

So remember a few weeks ago when I asked you to push yourself? Did you? How was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment