Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Big Gay Night Out

Well, lo and behold, we actually had some takers to my gay bar invitation in the last post! Our friends Michael and Jason have been together for like 14 years but had never been to a gay bar together! AND because they moved here a few years ago from the east coast, they had never been to a gay bar in Minnesota! So no time like the present, right?

We picked the Gay 90's, probably the most famous of the Twin Cities gay bars. Lisa and were last there in 1996, when it was really just a hole-in-the-wall gay bar. All I remember of that adventure is the two of us being picked up by a straight guy. Well, he attempted to, anyway. Yep, that's what two lesbians want more than anything - to go home with a guy for a little threesome. Ick.

I guess that a few years later the 90's became a really popular dance bar for straight people and continues to draw them to this day. They have a drag show on Saturday nights at 9:45 so the four of us decided to meet then. Wow, getting to a bar a 9:45! I'm usually in bed by then!

The drag show was pretty good. It was entertaining and raunchy. I would say that about 1/3 of the audience were straight gals out for someone's birthday or bachelorette party, 1/3 were gay men, and the remaining 1/3 was made up of straight men (dragged in by their girlfriends) and lesbians. Those straight girls got into it the most for sure! I do have one burning question, however. Where do drag queens hide it? I mean it! I don't get it where it goes!

Not to overanalyze it (but then again, that's what I do), but it is sort of a mixed blessing that gay bars and drag shows have become so popular among straight people. I mean, it's great that homosexuality is becoming more acceptable, but on the other hand, I think that it is sometimes sort of glamorized and put on display (like art, or zoo animals), especially at the drag shows. Straight people can feel really cool and open-minded, but they are being shown a really extreme side of "the life". Kind of a cartoon version of gay life. Kind of like... dare I say... black face performers a hundred years ago? Discuss.

We stayed out until after midnight! I know! And I was called Ellen Degeneres only twice during our walk on Hennepin Avenue to and from the bar. Ellen who?

Anyway, it still was fun and we may just do it again! As you now know, it is perfectly acceptable for straight people to go to gay bars, so if we go again, who wants to be on our invite list?


3 comments:

  1. As long as I don't have a crazed dog staying at my house during your next adventure, count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why there were so few lesbians there. Where do Twin Cities lesbians gather? I was still closeted while I lived there, so I know nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well to answer your burning question, "it" dose not go anywhere but up lol. They tape....yes tape them selfs up and under then wear tight underwear to keep "it" hidden. I hope this helps lol.

    ReplyDelete