Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What am I going to wear??

The marathon is 5 short days away, and I'm starting to freak out a little. I'm not losing sleep over it (yet), but I get a pit in my stomach whenever it crosses my mind. It will only get worse as the week progresses, I'm sure.

Because the training part is over and the details of the day are worked out, I have nothing left to stress over, right? Wrong. There's one small thing that can consume my mind for the next few days. THE OUTFIT. That's right, I have become obsessed about what I am going to wear when I run this Sunday. You see, there are all sorts of details that need to go into this decision. Will it look good? And not make my butt look fat? Will it wick the sweat away from my body in an efficient fashion? Will it keep me warm early on, but not cause me to overheat as the day progresses? And most importantly, does it match one of the half dozen or so Nike baseball caps that I own?

During my training, I have mainly run in long men's Columbia shorts that have about 10 pockets. They are comfortable and functional. I can carry chapstick, gel packets, even my phone. They don't chaffe my inner thighs like running shorts do. But I was shopping at Kohl's last week and I saw a super-cute Nike outfit that consisted of black and blue running capri tights and a matching long-sleeved shirt. Perfect colors, and I have a black cap to go with it. However, the weather forcast for Sunday is out now and it looks to be a little warmer than I had planned. Well, that's easy. Surely there exists a short-sleeved version of the perfect top.

So Margaret and I headed to the stores last night. We hit 4 in all. I ended up buying a couple of shirts and another pair of tights, but none of them seemed right. None was the two-toned short sleeve shirt I was looking for. And when I tried on all of the outfits at home, I got even more discouraged. Just not right. So, over lunch today I went to a fifth store and ended up buying a bunch of additional tights, shorts, and shirts. Too much! Can't make a decision!

I will probably try a few more stores this week. Because that's who I am - obsessive. Plus, it's a great way to displace my anxiety over the race. Margaret, on the other hand, is happy with the first outfit she tried on, even if it doesn't match her cap. She will probably sleep like a baby Saturday night, too. Damn her.

Anyway, I am willing to bet that after all of that I show up at the marathon wearing my khaki men's shorts with the pockets for my gel packs and chapstick. It's tried and true, even if I don't look like a runner. I think that actually running the marathon (no matter what I'm wearing) will make me look like a runner, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment