Saturday, October 1, 2011

Another good day!

It seems like my really feel-good days revolve around running events. Today was the Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5k-10k-1 mile events. Lisa accidentally forgot to register for the 10 mile, which is to be held tomorrow, so she had to run the 10K today instead. So you could say she overtrained for the 10K, which resulted in a really good run for her. It would have been better had she not felt compelled to stay with her friend who hurt her foot a couple of miles before the end. Nonsense, I told Lisa after the race. I would have left my friend in a heartbeat. In fact I even warned my marathon buddy Margaret of this - I would try not to step on her if she fell, but that's the extent of my collegiality. I hope she would do the same.

Another aspect to the day is the remarkable performances given by several of the Jami's Group of Losers members. What a bunch of jocks! And many weren't running at all 6 months ago. We have another JGL 6K in a month, and I really think I am going to get beat this time around.

The most awesome part of the day is how my boys ran. We signed them up for the 5K behind their backs, and they weren't super pleased about being forced to run it. But we shoved them to the start line and yelled, Good luck! as the starting horn went off. I was convinced that Carter was going to walk part of the course, or even not finish. Imagine my surprise to see Jalen booking down towards the finish line ahead of a large percentage of the pack. And Carter wasn't far behind! Jalen finished in just under 24 minutes, and Carter at about 26 minutes, smoking the pants off of their competition. Wow! There were tears in my eyes! This is why we become parents! All of the hours of drudgery and frustration that is involved in raising kids was redeemed by this one moment of glory. Definitely worth it.

So I've been in a good mood all day. I've been carb-loading all day (mainly by eating brownies). Tomorrow is the marathon. Holy crap, TOMORROW IS THE MARATHON!! I hope that the good vibes continue at least for the next 20 hours. I will be taking  Xanax tonight so that I can sleep. I will be careful with my morning breakast so as not to upset my GI tract. I will try to remain calm and focused. I will do my part and let the chips fall where they may.

Tune in tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment