Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My massage

It's not like I've never had a massage before, but I've never had a massage that I've enjoyed. My previous experiences were a) a Swedish massage that hurt like hell but I was too shy to say anything and b) deep tissue work done by my sports chiropractor, who dons her Latex Gloves of Pain and literally makes me cry.

But I have heard so many good things about massage, how relaxing and rejeuvinating it is, how it can prevent muscle injury, and how even people with financial hardship will try to find a way to pay for at least one massage a month. So after my long run yesterday (when my calves were slowly starting to tighten into knots), I called Massage Envy. Why Massage Envy? Because it's cheap. Only $39 for your first time! Can't go wrong with that. Plus, they had open appointments the very same day.

I arrived at 8:45 pm. Yes, it's late, but they also have convenient evening hours! The consultant took a history and recommended the Sports Muscle Package (or some such thing), for an additional $12. Sure, what the heck. I met the massage therapist, a woman who appeared in her 20's (I don't imagine this career can span decades - don't they get hand arthritis after awhile?). She was very quiet and professional. I was taken to a private room, which was warm and had relaxing yoga-type music playing. I disrobed to my comfort, which was to bra and underwear. That's when I remembered that I had on an old worn bra, not a nice stylish one. Shoot! Since my other option was to take it off, I went with the worn-out look.

The massage itself lasted about 50 minutes, with the last 15 being the application of some product that smelled like Ben-Gay. I have to admit the whole experience was wonderful. Initially, I had wondered how a person could ever want a 2 hours massage and now I know! All she did was my lower back, feet, and legs in the time she had. I totally could have stayed for more. And I did feel relaxed and refreshed.

When checking out, I was so relaxed and, well, dazed, that I somehow got myself signed up for a membership. For $49 a month, I get one massage and discounts off of more. I really don't know the details, but it sure seemed like a good idea at the time!

I can see myself getting a massage a month. It was nice to take a step back and be pampered for an hour. And I hardly thought about anything important during that time. Actually, what I thought about the most is how much I wanted to ask her questions. Like, Do your hands get tired? Do you ever have to massage icky smelly people? Do you talk about your clients to the other massage therapists? But I don't know the protocol (this isn't a beauty salon after all), so I kept my mouth shut. Some people get pedicures, and we know how that went for me. I think a massage is more my thing. I encourage you to at least give it a try. Oh, and if you do, I have some referral discounts available!

1 comment:

  1. I get a massage every month and have since I bought the clinic 3.5 years ago. Teresa is semi-abusive and I love her for it. She even found me a house to rent in town (across the street from her) before we bought a house AND her daughter babysits my kids. I *heart* my massage therapist.

    ReplyDelete