Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I'm a runner again!

It has been over 3 weeks since I last ran, which is counterproductive to training for a marathon. On my last long run I developed what I will call a sprain in my left foot/ankle. until now, I couldn't run more than a few steps without excruciating pain. So I have put many miles on my bike and rollerblades lately, passing with jealousy the runners on the trail. Especially my running buddy Margaret, who was out there every damned day, and who also started to break my personal records in a couple of 5Ks while I was injured. I suspect she had something to do with my foot. Right, Margaret?

So today I felt like it was time to try again. And guess what? I ran a mile!! OK, it's a far cry from the 18 miles that I should be doing right now, but it's infinitely more than I've been able to run. Tomorrow I may shoot for 2 miles.

Of course, when I ran my mile today, I had to walk the mile back home (I know, poor planning on my part). And of course I passed a couple of runners twice - once while running and once while walking. I feel like I am being judged. Like I am too out of shape to run the whole way. I am sure that's NOT what they're thinking, but I still feel like I should say something to let them know that I'm INJURED.

Speaking of injuries, one of my greatest fears (and, according to Runner's World magazine, the greatest fear of most runners) is the fear of injury. An unexpected injury can derail your whole season. And now I don't just have my IT band to worry about; now I have to think about my foot as well. Grrr!

The good news is I haven't allowed this latest setback to depress me too much. Maybe it's because I still have 8 weeks until the marathon. Maybe it's because I have finally figured out that when it comes to running injuries, it truly "is what it is". Ain't nothin' I can do about it, except rest, cross-train, and practice the art of patience. I am hoping that this time that will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment