Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The biopsy results are in...

It wasn't until Monday night that I really started getting nervous. In less than 24 hours, I would know. Would my life be changed forever? Or was this just a cancer scare? Statistically, only 20% of BI-RAD 4B lesions were cancerous. And most of those that are calcifications, rather than a mass, are DCIS, which is really early cancer. Very treatable. But still, it's cancer. In all honestly, I had a gut feeling. I was pretty sure it wasn't benign. I don't think I told Lisa because didn't want to freak her out. The radiologist told me on Monday that if it was benign, a nurse would call me. If it was not, the surgeon (who I never even met) would call. I had my cell phone in my pocket all morning at work. I was expecting the call in the afternoon, so my stress level jumped up when the clock ticked noon.

I was sitting at my desk at about 12:30 when my phone vibrated. Hello? I said. Hi, is this Jami? Yes. Is this a good time to talk? Sure. This is so-and-so, a nurse practitioner from the Piper Center. Great! A nurse! That means good news! Wait. You're biopsy is back and I'm afraid it came back as cancer. Ductal carcinoma in situ. I was not surprised, but still, you never really want that phone call. She went on a bit about the next step, but I didn't really hear her. She had to repeat everything. I would need a bilateral breast MRI, then a consultation with the surgeon (again). The office would be calling me later to schedule. I got her to fax me the report -DCIS, cribiform, clinging, nuclear grade 2 of 3, no necrosis, not invasive, hormone receptor immunohistochemistry pending. So again, very treatable.

I called Lisa and my mom. I told my staff, and then announced it on my weight loss Facebook page. I sort of sleep-walked through the rest of the day. I scheduled my MRI for Monday, April 4 and my surgical consult for next Thursday. That's all I know. Well, I suspect that I will have a lumpectomy followed by 6 weeks of radiation treatment, but I don't know for sure.

Everyone deals with adversity in different ways. I have come to realize that I do best with the support of many people. Hence, my very public blog. I am grateful for the help of everyone in my life, and I promise to be as open as I can be. Lisa has been awesome. She's got my back. I think that if one of us should go through something like this, it's better for it to be me. Lisa is much more nurturing and supportive. I would just tell her to buck up, it's only cancer. She's also been very clingy lately, which I love! And she even asked if I wanted to talk about our relationship! I should get cancer more often!

And I know it's only stage 0 cancer and I have a very high probability of a cure, but it still jolts you a little, you know? I am defective. I contain cells that are behaving badly. I have a much higher than average chance of more serious breast cancer in the future, even with treatment. I probably couldn't get more life insurance now! I'm high risk! I have to have a piece of me cut out. I have many more doctor appointments in my future. I have something In common with all those ladies who wear pink ribbons. I have breast cancer.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your biopsy results. I've never been in your situation, but can definitely identify with Lisa's. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
    Warm regards, Lisa Westberg (née Hertel)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jami,

    The Big C really sucks. This is a difficult time for you and your family to have to go through. I am just glad that you are doing it with the support of great friends.

    You inspire people with your knowledge and your actions. Those of us on your Biggest Loser Team are blessed with your encouragement and smack talk to get up and off the couch and to make a difference in our own lives.

    Breast Cancer has touched many lives in my family (grandmother, mother, and stepmother). All of them are gone now, but each of them beat breast cancer.

    I was wondering about how you felt about a group of us participating in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk for the Cure? I would be interested in participating. It is August 19 - 21, 2011. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete