Monday, July 18, 2011

Fifteen miles is good enough for me!

This is one hot and humid week in Minnesota. Seriously, it was more hot and humid here yesterday than in the Amazon. So I was sort of dreading my long run this morning. But I was also prepared. I woke up at 5 am, because I wanted to get started before it really got hot. I ate my typical pre-long-run breakfast of frosted mini-wheats and fruit, and also had half a shot of 5 Hour Energy, because the caffeine is a proven run-booster. I wasn't thirsty, but I drank 6 ounces of water. Gunther (my dog) and I hit the path at 5:45. At this time the temperature was 81 with a dewpoint of 71 and 69% humidity. My plan was to run around our lake 4 times this morning, stopping after each 3.7 mile lap to cool down and re-hydrate. I was also not going for speed AT ALL, just distance. The first lap went really well - it was humid, but the blazing sun hadn't come up yet. Gunther and I also came within 10 feet of a doe, 2 fawns, and a yearling. I stopped, drank, ate an energy block, and hosed myself down with a garden hose.

My friend Margaret met up with me for the second lap. It is much more fun to run with a buddy! I also switched dogs - I now had Marley. After 7.5 miles, I still felt pretty good. Stopped again at the house, drank some more Gatorade, hosed myself off again, and went out for the third lap. At this point my calves were really starting to ache, plus I had this new pain at the top of my foot. Margaret had a good idea - change shoes later in the run, so for my last lap I put on the ultra-cushy super-supportive running shoes that I last wore over a year ago. Wow! My feet felt like they were running on pillows! However, the shoes were heavy and HOT. A half mile into the last lap, I ran into another friend of mine! We'd been trying to hook up to go running together for weeks, but it never worked out. So it was awesome that we happened to meet each other just as she was starting her lap around the lake. I feel sort of bad because by this time I was running pretty slow and I probably held her back a little. She was all fresh and chipper and talkative. I could barely muster a one-word answer to her questions. Definitely a one-sided conversation. But having her there to run that last lap with me was like a gift from the running gods. I am not sure how i would have made it without her.

The last 1/2 mile went on for an eternity but I FINALLY made it home. I headed right for the garden hose (thank you, garden hose, for being there for me today) and played in the water like a little kid for quite some time. How cool and refreshing! When I finished my run at about 9 am, the sun was out in all of its glory and the temperature was 85 degrees with a dewpoint of 73 and 68% humidity.

I took my temperature after hosing myself off and it was still 2 degrees above normal. I also weighed myself before and after the run, and even though I drank 20 ounces of Gatorade and 24 ounces of water, I still lost 2 pounds.

But... my knee didn't hurt one bit!

Honestly, if I weren't about to pass out from the heat and humidity, I would have shot for 18 miles today. But I am happy with 15. Mostly because this time, my knee wasn't the limiting factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment