Thursday, August 1, 2013

RAVS Trip Day 3

Oh my freaking God!!!!!!!!!!!!! @$#%*&^ Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! That was my internal reaction when my alarm went off at 4:45 am on Tuesday. 4:45!!!!! So not fair!!!! Remember, I am a sleep baby and I was already at a 6 hour sleep deficit and it was only day 3. How will I get through the day? My only remedy was soda. I couple of months ago I gave up soft drinks, but since I don't drink coffee and did not have any energy shots with me, Coke and Pepsi became my drug of choice for the week. However, while I had a bunch of cash, I had only $5s and $10s, which the vending machines did not accept. And no time to even walk across the street to the gas station to get change. Ever. So I became a sort of beggar that week, bumming change off of the other vets. I'm not ashamed.

After my cold water sponge bath and a small breakfast, we left the dorms at 5:30 am. The clinic started at 7:30 or 8 and we still had to set it up! The facilities in the new place were so much more awesome than the garage from the day before. This was a clean, spacious gymnasium. Look at all the room!



Since I was so eager to get the day started, I was given the first surgery, a young-ish, large-ish dog spay. And it must have gone well because I really don't remember it! Yay!!!

This was the second day of clinics, so I still looked pretty BAR (bright, alert, and responsive, for you non-medical types).



In addition to routine vaccines and surgeries, the group saw other interesting cases. Two dogs were hit by cars during the week (both ended up being euthanized), several were diagnosed with distemper or parvovirus (diseases that can be prevented by vaccination), tons of cases of mange, and a few dogs who had run-ins with porcupines. This poor dog also had puppies a week ago!


 
I was getting pretty confident with my surgeries, but again one of my spays decided to take forever to wake up and AGAIN they pulled out the ultrasound to make sure she wasn't bleeding internally after the surgery. I was beginning to get a complex! After getting the all-clear, we were able to break down the clinic to move to Eagle Butte. We ate dinner sitting on the floor of the community center, and were dismissed back to the dorms at about 10:30. But wait! I had a professional meeting to attend so I didn't get to bed until about 11:30.


No comments:

Post a Comment