Thursday, February 16, 2012

Grad School? What?

As I get older it's becoming apparent to me that I'm never satisfied. Which is crazy given that I live a life that's rich with challenges and joys. But I've talked to other people who are the same way, so I know it's not just me.

So now what? I have my doctorate. I have a business. I have a busy family. I don't have much spare time. But still...

After writing up my case reports for ABVP certification (which, for those of you who don't know, is an extra certification that a vet can get after being in practice for at least 6 years. They just have to jump through a bunch of hoops, submit two case reports, and take an exam. More info can be obtained at www.abvp.com. There is really no extra glory or more pay that goes along with certification, but there is satisfaction in knowing that you are trying to take your practice to a higher level.), I realized two things: 1. I like scientific writing and 2. I like the in-depth study of medicine. Funny I should feel that way, since while in vet school I couldn't wait to get away from the book training and into the real world of practicing. But things change.

So here are my options. I could to go back to do a residency, where I would spend 3 years at a university working 50-70 hours a week for little pay in order to pursue speciality training. I could become specialized in medicine, dermatology, pathology, ophthalmology, reproduction, surgery, you name it. Shortly after vet school Lisa completed a 3 year residency in emergency and critical care, which is how she ended up becoming a clinical professor at the U of MN vet school.

Another option is to go to graduate school. I could get a master's or PhD in something veterinary related, which would set me up for a career in research, government, or possibly industry. Possible post-doc degrees include immunology, public health, microbiology, physiology, pharmacology, etc. What this would involve is 2-4 years (depending on the degree and program) of classes and research, making little or no money during that time, unless I decide to go to school while still working (which I could only do for a master's, not a PhD). But then when would I see my family and train for marathons?

Or, I could continue to do what I am doing, which is a fine enough life.

However, I couldn't just let it go, so I did speak to a professor in the vet school PhD program. She set me up to attend the graduate school recruiting event last week, which was a great experience. During this event, the graduate school was sort of trying to impress candidates who had applied for positions, while the candidates tried to impress the school. Sort of like a dating game for nerds. I was the oddball in that I hadn't applied for anything! But I was grateful for their hospitality. I got to meet one-on-one with several professors (many of which were my teachers back when I was in vet school), get tours of the campuses, and talk to current and prospective grad students. And it ended with bowling and beer! Good fun.

So what did I decide? Nothing yet. I have a good thing going and I don't even know what I would do with an extra degree. I may just continue on with ABVP, and then possibly pain management certification. Or I can add a master's on top of that. Which would cost quite a bit of money (vs. a PhD, which would be paid for, plus a decent stipend, but I wouldn't be able to practice at my clinic during that time). So I need to consider the financial ramifications, the overall financial benefit, and how much time and effort I want to put forth.

Or maybe I should just spend a little bit of money on therapy so I can figure out why I'm never conent to leave well enough alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment